Thursday, October 9, 2008

Jon's Top 10 '80s List

Ok... So for my first list, I'm going to keep things simple. I'm going to list my top ten '80s POP songs. Mind you that there were many terrific bands in the 80s but this list is reserved strictly for pop songs. Anyways, here's my Top 10 80s Pop song...

10) 'Always Something There To Remind Me' - Naked Eyes

*Classic 80s sound with catchy lyrics and beat

9) 'Cars' - Gary Numan

*Ok, this song might sound annoying to others, but the heavy bass/synth screams everything that 80s pop was about. It is infectious.

8) 'Workin' for the Weekend' - Loverboy

*No need for an explanation on this workplace rallying chant.

7) 'Der Kommissar' - After the Fire

*Took me all last night and part of today but I finally found this stupid song, listen to it once and it's embedded in your brain.

6) 'Once in a Lifetime' - Talking Heads

*Probably one of my favorite bands from the 80s. They had several solid singles but this one stands above the others for its verses where he just talks and the chorus where everything comes together for a fun little diddy.

5) 'Whip It' - Devo

*Face it, you're already singing the song.

4) 'Centerfold' - J. Geils Band

* Solid song with hilarious lyrics. Probably will end up humming them for the rest of the night.

Now for my top 3

3) 'Rock the Cashbah' - The Clash

* Now there might be some arguement as to whether this is technically a '80s pop song, I argue that this is one of the best songs ever written. Even if this was a '80s rock list, it would be on here. This song rules!

2) 'Come on Eileen' - Dexy's Midnight Runners

* Come on, something this cool and it has a banjo! Of course it's in the top 3.

1) 'Take on Me' - A-ha's

* I know that this list doesn't have any hidden gems or anything on it. Pretty typical list right? Well if there's still a song hidden after 20+ years then it was probably hidden for a reason. This song defines '80s pop. End of discussion.

Anyways, I'm not claiming supremacy on anyone else's list or saying that these are THE best songs of the '80s, but I am saying if I was to make a CD with my favorite '80s pop songs. These would be on there. Hopefully you enjoyed this a tad more than my anger possessed scribblings.

* I feel that 'Never Gonna Give You Up' by Rick Astley deserves a mention on this list. Yes, it might be the most annoying song in history but even after some 20 odd years, that song still infects us all. Thank you viral videos...