Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cold Hearted?

Today was a pretty lazy day. Cleaned house, washed clothes, and watched a movie or two. Other than getting some much needed essentials done, I was also able to catch up on some 'essentials' on the movie side.

I bought the Darren Aronofsky double packet. In the package were Aronofsky's two largest hits, Pi and Requiem for a Dream. Like I said, it was a dull lazy day so I watched both movies. Just wanted to talk maybe a few paragraphs about the two films.

Firstly, Pi was awesome! It literally had me on the edge of my seat for the entire 90 minutes. I had no clue what was going to happen or how everything would tie together. Was Max slipping into insanity or was he finally reaching enlightenment? Playing with the unexplainable sequences of numbers that haunt mathematicians, Aronofsky put together an amazing story. Also, shooting in black and white was a brilliant move. So in summary, awesome movie. A must watch for anyone.

Next, there's the uber-dire movie Requiem for a Dream. Now my opinion could very well be skewered based on an expectation on the movie set by my friends. I knew full well that going into this movie, I would not be receiving the typical Hollywood ending with smiles and laughter. Knowing the realistic cynicism that came with this movie, I did my best to keep an open unbiased approach to my viewing of it.

Disclaimers aside, this movie was good. Along the same lines of Passion of the Christ or Schindler's List, this movie is good but not one that you will watch just for viewing pleasure. Requiem quickly envolves you in the life's of 4 people who attempt to reach a state of happiness that would complete their lives. It's this belief that drives them to make decisions that ultimately lead them to this movie's grim ending. Not trying to give too much away, I'll just say that the brutality of the script and story had me reflecting on it well into the night.

So, I'm not depressed. I didn't cry. I didn't mope around my apartment. Does that make me a cold-hearted? I don't think so. Maybe after you watch the movie you can let me know.

1 comment:

Krysti said...

They were both very good movies! My sister burned them for me a few years ago and I watched them both once then. You remind me that I want to go watch them again.